I tap the pen icon at the top to use the keyboard, but the on-screen keyboard is not displayed. I have turned the remote on and off several times, and I still can't get it. Why won't the keyboard pull up?
- Product: TeleprompterPAD® remote control
- App: TeleprompterPAD®
- Devices: Some Android tablet models, especially recent Samsung tablets.
Step by step solution
Some layers of customization of the Android Operating System, especially on some recent Samsung tablet models, include a setting to display (or not) the on-screen keyboard when a Bluetooth input device, such as our remote control for teleprompter, is connected.
This setting allows the user to choose the response of the on-screen keyboard when an app requests to show the on-screen keyboard: Should it show or not?
In some cases it may be useful to have this option disabled, but certainly not in our case, so we are going to show you how to configure this setting quickly and very easily:
NOTE: We show the settings on a Samsung tablet. Other models might show slightly different paths or names, but similar functionalities.
- Make sure that Bluetooth is connected, the TeleprompterPAD® Remote Control is paired and turned on. Then tap the Settings icon on your device and go to General management:
- Then go to Physical keyboard:
- Make sure to turn on the option: "Show on-screen keyboard - Show the on-screen keyboard while a physical keyboard is being used."
After this, the on-screen keyboard should be shown in the TeleprompterPAD® app when you tap the edit text tool (pencil icon), and should be hidden when you press it again, when you are done editing your script.
In some devices, our remote control is identified as a keyboard. This makes the system think that you may prefer to enter text from the remote control instead of using the on-screen keyboard.
In those devices where this option is configurable by the user, if you do not activate this option, the system will not show the on-screen keyboard by default.